Tuesday, February 6, 2007

TurkeyChicken


I may have altered the shape of Bengali pigeon-English. At our stop at the shopping center yesterday, there was a portable animal shop (I'd call it a pet shop, but you never know). They had several cages with birds, a couple of puppies, and 2 large birds wandering the parking lot. They look a heck of a lot like turkeys. Because I am occasionally completely stupid, I asked the driver, Harun, if they are turkeys. Why is that stupid? Well, with hindsight I now understand that turkeys are a uniquely north american bird and the Bengalis would have no word for it. Since I confused Harun, he ran over to the pet shop proprieter to ask. They discussed this for a short while and came to a conclusion. Harun informed us that these were TurkeyChickens, somewhat like a chicken and what they call murghi. Murghi just happens to be the bengali word for Chicken.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No turkey chicken large format picture! Google is crashing!

Service Temporarily Unavailable
We're sorry, but this service is temporarily unavailable. We're currently working to fix the problem.

I need to see turkey chicken!

PS - Can you take a pciture of how one tastes? thanks....

Anonymous said...

Whew, it started working now. Thats a turkey. Chicken. But more turkey. Parking lot turkey. Tasty wiht curry.

Serious question, if poverty is an issue, why hasnt someone captured those tasty birds? Or do they belong to the pet shop man?

Anonymous said...

Those sure do look like turkey buzzards to me (also known around here as turky vultures.) They eat carrion and hang around office buildings. Maybe they're smaller in Dhaka because there's less road kill to feast on?

And the puppies--I'm afraid to ask if they are for pets or something less pleasant... I have to go hug my dog.

Cassie