Monday, February 5, 2007

First morning


I realized this morning that there were so many things that I forgot to write about last night. I already feel like it was a very long post...

Anne and Randy's home is very comfortable. It is large, quiet and cool. From the outside, Dhaka looks like a crowded city with more people, buildings, and vehicles than anything else. From the side, Dhaka sounds like the jungle it used to be. There are many different bird calls and I think I heard a monkey. It is located in the diplomatic are of the city where everything is pretty new and caters to westerners. The neighborhood is called Gulshan. They are right across the street from the American Recreation Association. It is a sort of country club for ex-pats. Even in Gulshan, where the concentration of westerners is highest, we make quite a spectacle walking down the street.

This morning, Anne, Sam and I had breakfast at the ARA. Normally, they enter through the back gate which is steps from their house. Because they don't know Anne very well and I am a visitor, they asked us to go around to the front entrance. The back gate is manned only by security, where the front gate has a small office and someone who has the authority to let me in. Both gates are now also manned by armed guards - new since Anne was last here. We aren't sure if this is extra security because of the state of emergency.

We had to walk around the block to get to the front gate. For out entire time outside, we attracted quite a crowd. Many people came outside just to watch us talk with the back gate guard. On our way, we picked up a small parade of elementary students on break and attracted the stares of rickshaw drivers. Given the traffic patterns here, it's worrisome to think of them taking their eyes off the road! I had read a lot about the stares. Apparently, Bangladeshis are very curious and see westerners as a novelty. My guide book indicated that it can be frustrating and may feel invasive. So far, it relieves me of feeling bad about staring right back! I also have to think about what we must look like to them. We are parading around in our western clothes that aren't suited for the environment, have our western affectations, and are pushing a fancy stroller with copious amounts of mosquito netting. It is certainly a scene that could be in a modern day recreation of "Out of Africa" or some other colonial era movie. The equivalent would be a Rajah in a sedan chair being carried by servants through Market Square (in Portsmouth).

We are off to a spa visit, then more shopping. I have to admit that I am a bit apprehensive of the spa experience.

Food notes: Breakfast sausage here consists of ground beef and curry powder - which isn't as good as it sounds! I forced myself to eat everything on my plate. I left quite a bit of dinner behind last night and felt terribly guilty. Dinner was also at the ARA. The menu is mostly American style food. I ordered a bangladeshi style chicken meal. It was not nearly as spicy as I had feared - but it may have been tailored to their clientele's palette.

I am starting to play with Picassa photo albums. I have updated the post from Sunday to include a link. The ablum has only one photo. I still have to perfect the process, including photo rotation. I am re-learning how to use a Mac. I hope to have Randy give me some pointers tonight.

3 comments:

JCM said...

Please post a picture of the Westerners pushing a stroller covered in mosquito netting!

Sharon The Red Baron said...

I'd love to, but I am part of the grand parade. At this point, I am not sure that Dhaka is the place for us to stage such a shot.

Anonymous said...

Since you were the one who set up the "shrine", I would assume that you are comfortable with the idea that Sam rides in style like a rajah ----- only fitting for his position in life.