Wednesday, February 7, 2007

I am a millionaire

I might even be a billionaire (although that is a stretch). The exchange rate here is about 69 taka to $1 US. 82.8% of the population lives on less than $2 US per day, that's about 140 taka (from the Lonely Planet guide). So, it's all very cheap to live here right? Well, yes, but everything is relative. As you know, Anne and I enjoyed pedicures yesterday. Those cost us 200 taka. That's $3 US. That's more than 82.8% of the population earns in a day. In the US, a comparable price for a pedicure would be about $127 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/fsbr/income.html). Sobering, isn't it?

This makes me wonder, what is socially conscious tourism? How do I balance the value that I perceive a good or service to have with the local perception. How do I particpiate in the tradition of haggling when I know the first price offered is far less than my own personal price barrier? How do I not haggle when it is clearly expected? Is it wrong to pay "too much"? Is it immoral to pay Dhaka street value when any item here could be resold in US for many times more? What is the difference between an EU citizen coming to US for shopping bargains and me enjoying even greater benefits here? Does it matter? I don't know the answers and I think they reflect my western guilt. They probably also reflect the fact that here, like no place I have ever been, the difference between the very poor and the (really only moderately) wealthy stands in stark contrast. I think my best path is to do what we westerners all seem to be doing - try to focus my spending at fair trade destinations and through NGOs that are working to slowly eradicate poverty and effect real change.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is think of it from a wildlife perspective (not that humans are wildlife) but if you provide a source of wealth or revenue (breadcrumbs on the street/birdfeeders) you are training those on the recieving end to seek it, and rely on it, and if it disappears, they will starve. So I say be fair and play the game as though you were not a millionaire tourist. They are people in thier own culture and they shoudl be treated as such. Just my two cents as I sit in my heated room pondering purchasing a 4 season tent - that would probably house a family there for 10 years. Living vicariously is both fun and interesting! - Rich

Sharon The Red Baron said...

That's pretty much how I think too. It's the only way to function here and not explode. I also tip - a ridiculous percentage by US standards, but its still only a buck or two in most cases.

Sharon The Red Baron said...

PS A four season tent is not the right gear for Deshis.